Assistant Director, Strategy, Planning and Performance
The Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA) is the Australian Government's primary authority on radiation protection and nuclear safety. Our purpose is to protect the Australian people and the environment from the harmful effects of radiation, through understanding risks, best practice regulation, research, policy, services, partnerships and engaging with the community.
The Performance and Governance Section sits within the Corporate Office and is responsible for developing, maintaining and integrating ARPANSA’s management systems, business planning, and performance and governance framework. This framework ensures the Agency fulfils its corporate obligations, defines mechanisms for accountability, and supports a culture of high performance and continual improvement within ARPANSA. A key project for the Section is to lead the development and implementation of an Integrated Management System for ARPANSA. Working in partnership with ARPANSA’s Executive, Branches and Offices, the Section provides services and advice on corporate planning, risk management, performance evaluation, project management, as well as quality management and workplace health and safety activities.
Primary purpose of the role
The Assistant Director, Strategy, Planning and Performance will work closely with the Executive to set, monitor and review the Agency’s strategic direction and integrated planning process and will enhance the way critical business partnering support is delivered to key stakeholders. Driving continuous improvement through the relevant planning, budgeting and forecasting processes, and the position will provide meaningful high value reporting and insight to facilitate informed decision making. The Assistant Director is also responsible for providing overall leadership and direction to the Agency’s project management framework and providing high level support to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) in undertaking financial reporting and analysis, maintaining the long-term forecast for the agency and assisting managers with the development of annual operating and capital expenditure budgets.
- Partner with Executive to develop ARPANSA’s strategic framework and integrated planning process, ensuring strategic alignment across all areas of the Agency;
- Provide strategic and operational leadership for the effective and efficient management of Agency financial and operational performance;
- Prepare complex reports, reliable advice and insightful analysis to inform the Agency’s strategic direction and deliver optimal performance outcomes;
- Provide high-level support to the CFO, including development of annual operating and capital expenditure budgets, monthly and long-term forecasting and preparation of relevant reports;
- Take a leadership role to implement and embed ARPANSA’s project management and evaluation framework across the Agency, including the provision of governance and oversight of Agency projects; and
- Promote a culture of high performance and continual improvement within ARPANSA through the provision of expert advice and positive working relationships.
Job specific capabilities
To be considered for this role you will hold a tertiary qualification in a business discipline from an Australian tertiary institution or comparable qualification and relevant experience appropriate to the duties of the role. You will have a comprehensive understanding of the Commonwealth’s legislative and policy frameworks underpinning financial management, performance, governance and accountability.
You will demonstrate analytical and problem solving skills and the ability to provide qualitative and quantitative analysis to inform strategy, planning processes and deliver optimal performance outcomes. You will possess outstanding personal attributes including personal drive and integrity, highly developed communication and consultation skills which demonstrate a capacity to work collaboratively and build and sustain positive working relationships.
You must hold Australian citizenship or possess permanent residency status leading to citizenship and be prepared to travel interstate from time to time as required. ARPANSA requires all new employees to undertake a baseline security clearance as a condition of engagement.
There are five selection criteria for this role.
Candidates are asked to address each of these in writing, limiting your response to no more than 300 words per selection criteria.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Commonwealth’s legislative and policy frameworks underpinning financial management, performance, governance and accountability.
- Experience in strategic and business planning and project management with the ability to implement effective systems and processes which support organisational objectives.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills and the ability to provide qualitative and quantitative analysis and insights.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders that are mutually beneficial and support achievement of business and strategic objectives.
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills including the development of complex reports and presentation of materials in a clear and concise manner.
Sarsha Collet - 03 9433 2430 or recruitmentarpansa.gov.au.