Technical Officer – Radiation Protection Services - APS 3
It is expected that two non-ongoing opportunities will be offered for a specified term.
These positions will be offered as a non-ongoing contract for an initial period of up to 30 June 2019, with a possibility of extension of up to three years. These positions may become ongoing (permanent) in the next 12 months. Should these positions become ongoing, then the Order of Merit established through this selection process may be used to fill the vacancy on an ongoing basis.
Primary purpose of the role
In this role you will be responsible for a range of straightforward technical tasks or activities associated with the day-to-day operation of NATA Accredited Personal Radiation Monitoring Service (PRMS) and/or the Ultraviolet Radiation Services (UVR Services) including a NATA Accredited testing service. Under technical guidance, your duties will include workflow planning, measurement, reporting and customer service. In conjunction with the Leadership Team of Radiation Protection Services (RPS), you will contribute to the regular review of PRMS and/or UVR Services to ensure compliance with ARPANSA’s statutory obligations in radiation health protection and service delivery in terms of scientific quality, process improvement and customer service excellence.
With technical guidance:
- Perform daily laboratory activities ensuring the high quality delivery of services and NATA accredited testing service;
- Provide technical support to ARPANSA’s scientific programs on exposure assessment and measurement of occupational ionising radiation and/or ultraviolet radiation;
- Proactively contribute to and model own behaviour consistent with a high performing team culture; and
- Undertake allocated technical tasks or activities commensurate with the APS Level 3 classification within RPS and RHS as required.
Job specific capabilities
To be considered for this position, you will have successfully worked in a technical environment and have well developed skills in ionising radiation dosimetry technology, measurement, calibration and/or ultraviolet radiation measurement and reporting. You will have a strong understanding of the daily operational requirements for the delivery of an accredited quality scientific service and business. Additionally, you will have a strong focus on laboratory safety, and general work health and safety procedures.
The successful applicant will possess a diploma or equivalent qualification from an Australian tertiary institution or vocational training provider, or a comparable overseas qualification, which is appropriate to the duties of the position.
You will actively contribute to a positive high performing team culture and you will have demonstrated experience in engaging stakeholders and delivering high quality customer service.
The successful applicant must hold Australian citizenship or possess permanent residency status leading to citizenship. The successful candidate may be required to travel interstate from time to time. ARPANSA requires all new employees to undertake a baseline security clearance as a condition of their employment.
There are five selection criteria for this role.
Candidates are asked to address each of these in writing, limiting your response to no more than 250 words per selection criteria.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of ionizing radiation and /or ultraviolet radiation within a quality controlled laboratory environment.
- Demonstrated experience in measurement, assessment, reporting and record keeping of technical measurements.
- Proven ability to contribute to, and perform in a high performing customer focused team.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate positive working relationships.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in the use of technology including databases, electronic records management systems, and the suite of Microsoft Office programs, in particular excel.
Michael Litwin - 03 9433 2367 or recruitmentarpansa.gov.au.