Warning messageThere is currently a suspension or adjustment to some of our activities due to COVID-19. For full details please visit our Activities in response to COVID-19 information page.
Membership of the Audit and Risk Committee
The CEO of the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA) has established an Audit and Risk Committee (the Committee) in accordance with subsection 45(1) of the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013 (PGPA Act) and Division 3 of the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Rule 2014 (PGPA Rule).
The Audit and Risk Committee is appointed by the CEO and comprises of an independent chairperson, and between 3 and 5 independent members.
The Committee plays a key role in assisting the CEO in fulfilling their responsibilities by independently reviewing and assessing the agency’s systems and controls for financial management, performance and sustainability, risk management, integrity, business continuity, insurance, internal audit, external audit and review, compliance and internal controls.
The Committee must exercise independent judgement and be objective in its deliberations, decisions and advice.
A vacancy exists for an independent chair, and several independent member positions.
The term of appointment will be three years.
The Audit and Risk Committee generally meets five times a year, with a requirement for members to attend most meetings, as well as consideration of matters ‘out of session’.
Key selection criteria
- An understanding of Audit and Risk Committee function and the practical application of the principles of good governance.
- Ability to read and understand basic financial statements, query financial information and interpret and evaluate the response (mandatory).
- Experience, qualifications and/or expertise in at least two of the areas listed in the Expression of Interest (EOI).
- Significant expertise in risk or auditing and experience within organisations involved in research or regulation (desirable).
- Ability to enquire, evaluate adequacy and make independent judgements.
- Ability to offer different perspectives to management, assess performance and provide constructive recommendations.
- Strong leadership and stakeholder management skills complemented with the ability to work collaboratively.
- Understanding of compliance with applicable laws, regulations, standards and best practice guidelines, in particular the requirements of the PGPA Act and Rules.
- Board, committee or other relevant oversight experience (member of Australian Institute of Company Directors or similar is desirable).
- Integrity, objectivity, accountability, honesty and strategic foresight.
- An understanding of the agency, its products, its services, risks and controls (it is noted that new audit committee members may not have a full understanding of the agency when joining and will be given time and support to understand the business).
Please send your application, completed expression of interest form and supporting documentation to anita.macartneyarpansa.gov.au (subject: Expression%20of%20Interest%20Audit%20and%20Risk%20Committee) by 4 December 2020.
It is anticipated that the successful candidates will have the capacity to commit to the required workload.
The appointments will be subject to security vetting including an Australian Federal Police check.
For more information please contact:
Director of Governance and Risk
Office of the CEO
619 Lower Plenty Road, Yallambie VIC 3085 AUSTRALIA
Mobile 0429 611 754