Warning messageThere is currently a suspension or adjustment to some of our activities due to COVID-19. For full details please visit our Activities in response to COVID-19 information page.
Assistant Director, Planning, Performance and Projects
ARPANSA values workplace diversity and is committed to providing a supportive, inclusive and respectful work environment. We welcome people with diverse skills, experiences, perspectives and backgrounds, and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, people with disabilities, people that identify as LGBTIQ+, and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Should you require special assistance through any stage of the selection process, please contact the Office of People Strategies and Wellbeing team.
The Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA) is the Australian Government's primary authority on radiation protection and nuclear safety. Our purpose is to protect the Australian people and the environment from the harmful effects of radiation, through understanding risks, best practice regulation, research, policy, services, partnerships and engaging with the community.
The Office of the CEO is comprised of three sections; Communications, Government and International Relations and Governance and Risk. The Governance and Risk section is responsible for developing, maintaining and integrating ARPANSA’s management systems, business planning, and performance and governance framework. This framework ensures the agency fulfils its corporate obligations, defines mechanisms for accountability, and supports a culture of high performance and continual improvement within ARPANSA. Working in partnership with ARPANSA’s executive, branches and offices, the section provides services and advice on corporate planning, risk management, performance evaluation, project management, as well as quality management, protective security and business continuity management.
Primary purpose of the role
The Assistant Director, Planning, Performance and Projects is responsible for ensuring ARPANSA’s corporate planning, performance monitoring and reporting processes meet legislative requirements under the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013 (PGPA Act). The role works closely with ARPANSA’s executive and business groups to ensure strategic alignment across all areas of the agency and deliver key planning documents and reports, including the Portfolio Budget Statement, corporate plan, annual report and quarterly and annual performance reports. Critical to the role is the provision of high-level advice and support to ARPANSA’s executive to facilitate informed decision making and deliver optimal performance outcomes. The Assistant Director is a member of the Project Management Advisory Group and is responsible for providing overall leadership and direction to the agency’s project management framework and supporting project delivery across the agency.
- Partner with the executive and business groups to implement ARPANSA’s corporate planning, performance monitoring and reporting processes, to ensure strategic alignment across the agency and compliance with the PGPA Act;
- Manage, monitor and evaluate ARPANSA’s project management framework, including oversight of ARPANSA projects and adoption of project management practices across the agency;
- Prepare complex reports and provide strategic and operational advice to executive and stakeholders on a range of issues and risks relevant to this role;
- Review the effectiveness of performance measures and monitor the quality of performance data to enable meaningful and accurate measurement of agency performance; and
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of and compliance with relevant legislative and reporting requirements, Australian and international standards, best practice models and agency policies.
Job specific capabilities
To be considered for this role you will have a proven track record in successfully managing corporate planning and reporting processes in the public or private sector, with particular emphasis on performance measurement and project management. A comprehensive understanding of the Commonwealth’s legislative and policy frameworks, in particular the Australian Government PGPA Act, and qualifications in project management, would be highly desirable. You will possess outstanding personal attributes including personal drive and integrity, highly developed communication and consultation skills which demonstrate a capacity to work collaboratively and build and sustain positive working relationships.
You must hold Australian citizenship or possess permanent residency status leading to citizenship and be prepared to travel interstate from time to time as required. ARPANSA requires all new employees to undertake a baseline security clearance as a condition of engagement.
There are five selection criteria for this role. Candidates are asked to limit their response to no more than 300 words per selection criteria.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Commonwealth’s legislative and policy frameworks, in particular the PGPA Act and associated instruments and policies.
- Previous experience managing and continuously improving business planning, performance monitoring and reporting processes.
- Sound knowledge of project management principles and demonstrated experience implementing project management processes across an organisation.
- Possess excellent facilitation and negotiation skills, including the ability to guide staff through an agreed process, maintaining focus, momentum, participation, engagement and results.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders and work collaboratively and cooperatively to achieve strategic objectives.
- Flexible working options
- Study assistance and salary packaging options
- Employee Assistance Program
- Located in the leafy northern suburbs 15 km from CBD
- Modern amenities room with garden courtyard
- Free parking