Assistant Director – Ultraviolet Radiation Services
ARPANSA values workplace diversity and is committed to providing a supportive, inclusive and respectful work environment. We welcome people with diverse skills, experiences, perspectives and backgrounds, and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, people with disabilities, people that identify as LGBTIQ+, and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Should you require special assistance through any stage of the selection process, please contact the People and Culture team.
The Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA) is a statutory agency within the Department of Health portfolio and is the Australian Government’s primary authority on radiation protection and nuclear safety. ARPANSA regulates Commonwealth entities using radiation with the objective of protecting people and the environment from the harmful effect of radiation. ARPANSA undertakes research, provides services, and promotes national uniformity and the implementation of international best practice across all jurisdictions.
The Radiation Protection Services (RPS) Section is responsible for the provision of a suite of commercial services which protect workers and the public from the harmful effects of radiation. This includes the monitoring and reporting of ionising radiation doses, the radiofrequency calibration of instruments and the testing and endorsement of a range of ultraviolet protective fabrics, films and glasses. The Section maintains accreditation to ensure delivery of high quality and traceable scientific services to the Australian community. Customer management provides specific market position with growth opportunities.
Primary purpose of the role
Under the broad direction from the Director, Radiation Protection Services, the Assistant Director Ultraviolet Radiation Services (UVRS) will provide expertise across a broad range of activities relating to delivery of radiation protection services for Australians exposed to ultraviolet (UV) radiation. You will be responsible for the leadership, management and continued improvement of the UVRS. This includes taking responsibility for team outcomes, monitoring progress and delivering quality outcomes. You will also have demonstrated experience in engaging stakeholders and clients to achieve customer retention and gain specific market position.
- Working with a level of independence, lead and manage the effective delivery of the quality accredited UVRS to the Australian and international market place, and support the broader RPS Section
- Support the strategic directions for your area of responsibility by developing and implementing work plans, contributing to innovation and business improvements, engaging with risk and managing change
- Effectively manage competing priorities when delivering team planning and project outcomes in line with agency goals and objectives, including through the implementation of new digital systems.
- Promote the agency’s business objectives through relationships with a range of stakeholders to support customer needs, including through the provision of expert advice
- Promote a culture of high performance and continual improvement in a positive team environment.
Job specific capabilities
To be considered for this position, you will have successfully worked in a scientific leadership role. Experience in UV exposure measurements and an understanding of the key personal protective strategies for prevention of UV exposure would be an advantage. You will have a strong understanding of the technical and commercial requirements for the delivery of an accredited scientific service, including development and management of intellectual property.
Tertiary qualifications from an Australian Tertiary Institution in a relevant field or comparable overseas qualifications or other alternative qualifications and experience appropriate to the position are essential.
You will actively contribute to a high performing culture through building and supporting the team environment by coaching others, providing performance feedback, conflict resolution and encouraging career development. You will have demonstrated experience in engaging stakeholders to identify opportunities, achieve outcomes and deliver high quality customer service.
You must hold Australian citizenship or possess permanent residency status leading to citizenship and be prepared to travel interstate from time to time as required. ARPANSA requires all new employees to undertake a baseline security clearance as a condition of engagement.
There are five selection criteria for this role. Candidates are asked to address each of these in writing, limiting your response to no more than 250 words per selection criterion.
- Well-developed skills in achieving scientific and technical operational outcomes in a quality controlled laboratory
- Demonstrated ability to lead a high performing customer-focussed team, apply professional judgement and innovative approaches to problem solving, and coordinate long-term project objectives
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with customers, colleagues and peers
- Demonstrated ability to plan and monitor work processes, direct and coordinate quality assurance practices and set performance indicators
- Proven ability to manage commercial activities including development and application of intellectual property, and cultivate strong customer relationships.