ARPANSA values workplace diversity and is committed to providing a supportive, inclusive and respectful work environment. We welcome people with diverse skills, experiences, perspectives and backgrounds, and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, people with disabilities, people that identify as LGBTIQ+, and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Should you require special assistance through any stage of the selection process, please contact the Office of People Strategies and Wellbeing team.
The Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA) is the Australian Government's primary authority on radiation protection and nuclear safety. Our purpose is to protect the Australian people and the environment from the harmful effects of radiation, through understanding risks, best practice regulation, research, policy, services, partnerships and engaging with the community.
The Primary Standards Dosimetry Laboratory (PSDL) provides calibration and measurement services to users of ionising radiation measurement equipment, including the Australian radiotherapy community. The section maintains the Australian primary standards for absorbed dose and exposure, and disseminates these standards via calibrations for dosimetry equipment using X-ray and Gamma ray sources.
Primary purpose of the role
In this role, under limited direction, you will perform a range of complex scientific tasks including the calibration of radiotherapy dosimeters, and other radiation detectors. You will irradiate equipment and materials upon request. These calibration and irradiation services are provided under a quality system accredited by NATA to ISO 17025, and you will be actively involved in maintaining this accreditation, and making sure services are delivered according to the quality system. You will liaise with clients, provide quotations, schedule work and write reports.
- Under limited direction, calibrate equipment for ionising radiation measurement – primarily radiotherapy dosemeters
- Provide irradiations to a known radiation dose
- Perform measurements for quality assurance and the maintenance of equipment, including the primary standards for radiation dosimetry
- Liaise with clients, schedule calibrations, analyse data and prepare measurement reports
- Contribute to the improvement of the calibration and irradiation services.
Job specific capabilities
You must possess a tertiary degree in science, from an Australian educational institution or a comparable qualification. Experience in radiation measurement would be advantageous.
You will have well developed interpersonal skills and the ability to contribute effectively in a team environment, sometimes in a leading role, together with the ability to liaise with all levels of staff, clients and members of the general public. You will have the ability to consistently perform efficiently and effectively at a high level and the demonstrated ability to make well-balanced and informed decisions.
You must hold Australian citizenship or possess permanent residency status leading to citizenship and be prepared to travel interstate from time to time as required. ARPANSA requires all new employees to undertake a baseline security clearance as a condition of engagement.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a leading employer of non-ionising and ionising radiation scientists. If you want to advance your scientific career, please tell us your skills, experiences and achievements that demonstrate the selection criteria using no more than 400 words for each criteria.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake complex scientific tasks associated with the measurement of ionising radiation.
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills, including the ability to recognise and resolve unusual measurement results.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organise, set priorities and meet deadlines by an ability to handle a number of tasks concurrently.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, to build and sustain positive relationships with team members and stakeholders.
- Well-developed liaison, communication and report writing skills including the ability to impart information clearly and accurately to the internal and external stakeholders.
- Flexible working options
- Study assistance and salary packaging options
- Employee Assistance Program
- Located in the leafy northern suburbs 15 km from CBD
- Modern amenities room with garden courtyard
- Free parking