Warning messageThere is currently a suspension or adjustment to some of our activities due to COVID-19. For full details please visit our Activities in response to COVID-19 information page.
Science Officer – Personal Radiation Monitoring Service
ARPANSA values workplace diversity and is committed to providing a supportive, inclusive and respectful work environment. We welcome people with diverse skills, experiences, perspectives and backgrounds, and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, people with disabilities, people that identify as LGBTIQ+, and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Should you require special assistance through any stage of the selection process, please contact the Office of People Strategies and Wellbeing team.
The Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA) is the Australian Government's primary authority on radiation protection and nuclear safety. Our purpose is to protect the Australian people and the environment from the harmful effects of radiation, through understanding risks, best practice regulation, research, policy, services, partnerships and engaging with the community.
The Radiation Protection Services Section is responsible for the provision of a suite of commercial services which protect workers and the public from the harmful effects of radiation. This includes the monitoring and reporting of ionising radiation doses, the radiofrequency calibration of instruments and the testing and endorsement of a range of ultraviolet protective fabrics, films and glasses. The Section maintains accreditation to ensure delivery of high quality and traceable scientific services to the Australian community. Customer management provides specific market position with growth opportunities.
Primary purpose of the role
In this role you will be responsible for the daily operational delivery of ARPANSA’s Personal Radiation Monitoring Service (PRMS) activities including workflow planning, measurement, assessment, reporting and customer service. Under limited direction from the Assistant Director of PRMS, you will contribute to the regular review of the PRMS to deliver scientific quality, process improvement and capital investment.
- Supervise the daily scientific and technical activities of PRMS to ensure the effective delivery of NATA accredited and other commercial services
- Participate and support the continued development and improvement of equipment and methodologies
- Act as a signatory for PRMS scientific and technical reports
- Provide scientific and technical support to ARPANSA’s scientific programs on exposure assessment and measurement of radiation
- Undertake allotted tasks as a member of the Section and Branch as required.
Job specific capabilities
To be considered for this position, you will have successfully worked in a scientific or technical role and have well developed skills in monitoring, measurement, calibration and technical reporting of radiation. You will have a strong understanding of the daily operational requirements for the delivery of an accredited quality scientific service.
Tertiary qualifications from an Australian Tertiary Institution in a relevant field, or comparable overseas qualifications or other alternative qualifications and experience appropriate to the position, are essential.
You will actively contribute to a positive high performing team culture. You will have demonstrated experience in: engaging stakeholders and delivering high quality customer service.
You must hold Australian citizenship or possess permanent residency status leading to citizenship and be prepared to travel interstate from time to time as required. ARPANSA requires all new employees to undertake a baseline security clearance as a condition of engagement.
There are five selection criteria for this role. Candidates are asked to address each of these in writing, limiting your response to no more than 250 words per selection criterion.
- Well-developed skills in achieving scientific and technical operational outcomes in a quality controlled commercial laboratory.
- Demonstrated technical expertise and attention to detail in the measurement and assessment of radiation.
- Proven ability to contribute to a high performing customer focused team, and promote a positive work culture.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and monitor work processes, and coordinate quality assurance practices.
- Demonstrated capability to communicate with, and build and sustain positive relationships with, a range of key stakeholders and customers.
- Flexible working options
- Study assistance and salary packaging options
- Employee Assistance Program
- Located in the leafy northern suburbs 15 km from CBD
- Modern amenities room with garden courtyard
- Free parking