Senior Communications Officer
ARPANSA values workplace diversity and is committed to providing a supportive, inclusive and respectful work environment. We welcome people with diverse skills, experiences, perspectives and backgrounds, and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, people with disabilities, people that identify as LGBTIQ+, and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Should you require special assistance through any stage of the selection process, please contact the People and Culture team.
The Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA) is the Australian Government's primary authority on radiation protection and nuclear safety. Our purpose is to protect the Australian people and the environment from the harmful effects of radiation, through understanding risks, best practice regulation, research, policy, services, partnerships and engaging with the community.
The Office of the CEO is comprised of two sections: Communications, and Government and International Relations. The Communications section assists in ensuring effective stakeholder engagement and is responsible for the delivery of the Agency’s communication and brand strategies including communicating health risks and mitigation strategies for the public, workers and the environment. This includes management and oversight of media liaison (including social), communication campaigns and collateral, publications, website, intranet, internal communications and stakeholder engagement.
Primary purpose of the role
Working under limited direction from the Assistant Director Communications, this role will support communications strategy development and internal/external stakeholder engagement. Critical to this role will be the support provided to the team and wider Agency on initiatives including publications, whole-of-Agency projects and communications best practice. The Senior Communications Officer will work closely with team members to deliver a high quality communication service, and oversee the website maintenance and management.
- plan and manage the development and implementation of the Agency’s communications strategies
- oversee the maintenance of the Agency’s intranet, website and social media environments particularly in relation to content management
- draft and edit communication material including social media posts, news items, website and intranet content, in line with the Agency’s writing style guide, based on the Australian Government Style Manual
- seek opportunities to improve and automate business processes using the Agency’s intranet, and website environments
- provide assistance to other staff on matters relating to Agency’s style, brand, tone and content development
- manage the effective delivery of internal communication channels such as the intranet and newsletter
- support the Assistant Director Communications to manage media enquiries and requests.
Job specific capabilities
To be considered for this position, you should have tertiary qualifications in marketing, communications or public relations from an Australian institution or other alternative qualifications and experience appropriate to the duties of the role.
You will possess highly developed written communication skills and be able to communicate effectively with a broad range of stakeholders including scientific and technical colleagues.
You must hold Australian citizenship or possess permanent residency status leading to citizenship and be prepared to travel interstate from time to time as required. The Agency requires all new employees to undertake a baseline security clearance as a condition of engagement.
There are five selection criteria for this role. Candidates are asked to provide a 1000 word statement of claims. In your response please consider the below selection criteria:
- Demonstrated experience in working with, and providing strategic advice to clients and business owners to develop and implement communication strategies and activities.
- Demonstrated experience in media and stakeholder engagement; including a thorough understanding of and experience with social media channels, brand guidelines, coordinating communication requests and using content management systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of social media, intranet and website processes and content creation
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results and manage competing demands.
- Demonstrated ability to produce communications which are clear, concise and readily understood by the intended audience.
PN 13415 - Senior Communications Officer (APS 6) - February 2019
Position Information: Shailla Van Raad 03 9433 2323