Technical Support Officer – CTBT Network
ARPANSA values workplace diversity and is committed to providing a supportive, inclusive and respectful work environment. We welcome people with diverse skills, experiences, perspectives and backgrounds, and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, people with disabilities, people that identify as LGBTIQ+, and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Should you require special assistance through any stage of the selection process, please contact the People and Culture team.
The Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA) is the Australian Government's primary authority on radiation protection and nuclear safety. Our purpose is to protect the Australian people and the environment from the harmful effects of radiation, through understanding risks, best practice regulation, research, policy, services, partnerships and engaging with the community.
The section is responsible for ARPANSA’s laboratories, field measurement capabilities and networks that are required for the measurement of radiation in people and the environment. This includes maintenance of ARPANSA’s radiation emergency response capabilities and networks and laboratories under contracts with the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organisation (CTBTO).
Primary purpose of the role
In this role, you will work under limited direction and perform a range of moderately complex tasks associated with operating and maintaining Australia’s radionuclide air monitoring and noble gas stations that form part of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT) International Monitoring System (IMS). You will co-ordinate station operation activities including managing a roster of operators for the Melbourne station, scheduling special measurements at all Australian stations as well as co-ordinating all maintenance activities. In this role you will be responsible for preparing reports as well as establishing and maintaining a high degree of documentation management and record keeping.
- under limited direction and using established principles, practices and procedures, undertake a range of moderately complex tasks associated with the overseeing routine operation and maintenance of Australia’s CTBT air monitoring and noble gas stations
- assist with budget submissions and proposals
- assist in the maintenance and upgrading of station equipment (including software), relating to the operation of CTBT air monitoring stations
- undertake field work to perform both scheduled and unscheduled maintenance tasks
- liaise with operational and technical staff from organisations contracted to assist with the running of the CTBT air monitoring stations
- maintain accurate station records of work performed and prepare associated administrative and technical reports
- develop and administer training programs for CTBT network partners.
Job specific capabilities
To be considered for this position, you will have experience in operating and maintaining large complex data acquisition systems. You will possess both a strong technical competency as well as an astute attention to detail to ensure the network meets its strict performance objectives.
You will also have experience working as part of a team, including with representatives from other organisations, both national and international, in order to achieve a common goal.
You will have experience maintaining a high standard of technical documentation including developing procedures and writing executive reports.
You must hold Australian citizenship or possess permanent residency status leading to citizenship and be prepared to travel internationally and interstate on occasions. This position is a designated security assessment position which will require you to successfully undertake and maintain a security clearance.
There are five selection criteria for this role.
Candidates are asked to provide a 250 word statement of claims. In your response please consider the below selection criteria.
- Demonstrated experience with data acquisition systems and managing and reporting on a complex operational work program.
- Demonstrated experience in co-ordinating operation and maintenance activities of a large multi-layered network.
- Experience working as part of a diverse team to achieve a common goal.
- Proven ability to liaise effectively with a range of representatives from external organisations, including internationally.
- Demonstrated experience maintaining a high standard of technical documentation.
Position Information: David Hardman on 03 9433 2299