Technical Support Officer Radiation Monitoring Networks - APS 5
The Medical and Emergency Response Section is responsible for ARPANSA’s laboratories, field measurement capabilities and networks that are required for the measurement of radiation in people and the environment. This includes maintenance of ARPANSA’s radiation emergency response capabilities and networks and laboratories under contracts with the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organisation.
Primary purpose of the role
This role installs, operates and maintains Australia’s radionuclide air monitoring and noble gas stations as part of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT) International Monitoring System. You will support station operation activities and implement new technologies as they become available at our seven International Monitoring System facilities, and local and remote stations. You will record and document station activities according to our quality systems, and share technical knowledge within our CTBT networks.
- Under limited supervision and using established principles, practices and procedures, undertake a range of moderately complex tasks associated with the routine operation and maintenance of Australia’s CTBT air monitoring and noble gas stations
- Assist in the maintenance and upgrading of station equipment (including software), relating to the operation of CTBT air monitoring stations
- Undertake fieldwork to perform both scheduled and unscheduled maintenance tasks
- Liaise with operational and technical staff from organisations contracted to assist with the running of the CTBT air monitoring stations
- Maintain accurate station records of work performed and prepare associated administrative and technical reports.
Job specific capabilities
You will be qualified with a diploma or above in a technical or science discipline. It is essential that you have at least 5 years technical experience operating and maintaining data acquisition systems, and demonstrated knowledge of electronics and instrumentation.
To be successful in this role, it is critical that you are a team player, with demonstrated experience collaborating and sharing technical expertise. You will be required to liaise internally with peers and external groups to achieve common goals. To produce high-level procedures and practices documentation, you will need meticulously attention to detail and evaluative judgement.
You must hold Australian citizenship or possess permanent residency status leading to citizenship and be prepared to travel interstate on occasions to remote stations. This position is a designated security assessment position, which requires you to successfully undertake and maintain a security clearance.
There are five selection criteria for this role. We ask candidates to limit their response to no more than 400 words per selection criteria.
- Demonstrated experience with moderately complex data acquisition systems
- Demonstrated understanding of electronics concepts.
- Experience working as part of a team to achieve a common goal.
- Demonstrated ability to liaise effectively with a range of external stakeholders.
- Proven ability to create and maintain a high level of documentation.
David Hardman – 03 9433 2299 or recruitmentarpansa.gov.au.