- About Regulatory Services
- Import/Export Permits
- Information for Licence Applicants
- Information for Licence Holders
- Regulatory Guides
- Regulatory Forms
- Transport of Radioactive Material
- Holistic Safety
- State & Territory Regulators
- Security of Sources
Import and Export Permit Applications
A permit issued by ARPANSA is required to import radioactive sources into Australia and to export high activity radioactive sources out of Australia.
ARPANSA is increasing the processing fees for Custom Prohibited Import Permits issued under Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956 in line with the Wage Price Index. The fee increases apply to import permits issued for both medical and non-medical radioisotopes.
ARPANSA will index permit fees annually on 1 July using the movement in the Wage Price Index.
The current fee structure is:
(effective 1 July 2013)
|Single shipment Permit - Standard||$155.00|
|Single Shipment - Urgent||$258.00|
|12 Month Permit||$1,796.00|
See Payment of Invoices for information about how to pay fees.
Import of Non-medical Radioactive Substances
Under Regulation 4R of The Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956, a permit from the ARPANSA is required for the import of radioactive substances. Read the general information and fees page for more details.
To apply for a non-medical import permit, complete the appropriate application form:
- Non-medical single shipment application form (Word 854kb).
- Non-medical 12 month permit application form (Word 855kb).
For further information contact the Non-Medical Import Permits Officer on (02) 9541 8340.
Import of Medical Radioisotopes
A radioisotope is considered to be for medical use when it is intended to be:
- administered to humans or used for any therapeutic procedure or purpose in any planned exposure of humans to ionising radiation
- used in any in vitro medical diagnosis or test
- used in research which is either directly or indirectly related towards medical diagnosis or therapy in humans.
Please note that sealed and unsealed radioactive sources that are used to calibrate instruments in medical practices and pathology laboratories are also included as medical radioisotopes for permit applications.
See Medical import permit details information for more information.
To apply for a medical import permit, complete the appropriate application form:
- Medical single shipment application form: PDF 254 kb | MS Word 158 kb
- Medical 12 month permit application form: PDF 213 kb | MS Word 106 kb
For further information contact the Medical Import Permits Officer on (03) 9433 2232.
Export of High Activity Radioactive Sources
Under Regulation 9AD of the Customs (Prohibited Exports) Regulations 1958, a permit from ARPANSA is required for the export of high activity radioactive sources. Read the general information and fees page for more details.
To apply for an export permit complete the application form:
- Export of High Activity Radioactive sources application form (Word 866kb).
Adobe Acrobat Reader is needed to view PDF files
The free Adobe Acrobat Reader is available from Adobe's website