- About Operations Services
- Information For Licence Applicants
- Information For Licence Holders
- Regulatory Guides
- Regulatory Forms
- ANSTO Return of Waste Application
- Security of Radiological Material
- Commitment to Good Regulatory Practice
- Licence Holder Forums
- Import and Export Permit Applications
- Research Reactors
- National Uniformity
- International Collaborations
- Our Relationship with State and Territory Regulators
- Regulatory Notice Board
- Inspection Reports
- Transport of Radioactive Material
- IAEA IRRS Mission Reports
- Codes and Standards
- A Holistic Approach to Safety
Read about the latest regulatory and policy news from ARPANSA
For more information please get in touch with Operation Services
- Phone Number+61 2 9541 8333
- Fax Number+61 2 9541 8348
- email ARPANSA
Import and Export Permit Applications
You need a permit from ARPANSA to import radioactive substances into Australia. You also need a permit from ARPANSA to export highly radioactive sources out of Australia.
Payment of fees
The fees for the issue of medical and non-medical permits increased from 1 October 2012 as shown below:
(effective 1 Oct 2012)
|Single shipment Permit - Standard||$150.00|
|Single Shipment - Urgent||$250.00|
|12 Month Permit||$1,740.00|
See Payment of Invoices for information about how to pay fees.
Import of Non-medical Radioactive Substances
Under Regulation 4R of The Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956, a permit from the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA) is required for the import of radioactive substances. Read the general information and fees page for more details.
To apply complete the appropriate form:
Non-medical single shipment application form (Word 162kb).
Non-medical 12 month permit application form (Word 166kb).
Phone the Non-Medical Import Permits Officer on (02) 9541 8340.
Import of Medical Radioisotopes
A radioisotope is considered to be for medical use when it is intended to be:
- administered to humans or used for any therapeutic procedure or purpose in any planned exposure of humans to ionising radiation
- used in any in vitro medical diagnosis or test
- used in research which is either directly or indirectly related towards medical diagnosis or therapy in humans.
Please note that sealed and unsealed radioactive sources that are used to calibrate instruments in medical practices and pathology laboratories are also included as medical radioisotopes for permit applications.
Read the general information and fees page for more details.
To apply print and complete one of these manual forms by hand:
Medical single shipment application form (PDF 54kb).
Medical 12 month permit application form (PDF 120kb).
Complete one of these interactive forms on your computer then print:
Medical single shipment (interactive) application form (PDF 92kb).
Medical 12 month permit (interactive) application form (PDF 253kb).
or Phone the Medical Import Permits Officer (03) 9433 2232.
Export of High Activity Radioactive Sources
Under Regulation 9AD of the Customs (Prohibited Exports) Regulations 1958, a permit from the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA) is required for the export of high activity radioactive sources. Read the general information and fees page for more details.
To apply complete an interactive form (PDF 260kb) on your computer then print it.
Print and complete an application form (PDF 86kb) by hand.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is needed to view PDF files
The free Adobe Acrobat Reader is available from Adobe's website