- About Regulatory Services
- Import/Export Permits
- Information for Licence Applicants
- Information for Licence Holders
- Regulatory Guides
- Regulatory Forms
- Transport of Radioactive Material
- Holistic Safety
- State & Territory Regulators
- Security of Sources
- International Best Practice
- Radioactive Waste Disposal and Storage
Import and Export Permits
A permit issued by ARPANSA is required to import radioactive substances into Australia and to export high activity radioactive sources out of Australia.
Fees are indexed annually on 1 July in line with the Wage Price Index.
|Type of Permit|| Fees*
(effective 1 July 2015)
|Single shipment Permit - Standard||$164|
|Single Shipment - Urgent||$272|
|12 Month Permit||$1894|
* Fees are exempt from GST
See Payment Methods for information about how to pay fees.
Import of Radioactive Substances for Non-medical Use
To apply for a non-medical import permit, complete the appropriate application form:
- Non-medical single shipment Application form (DOC 854kb)
- Non-medical 12 month permit Application form (DOC 855kb)
For further information contact the Non-Medical Import Permits Officer on (02) 9541 8340.
A radioisotope is considered to be for medical use when it is intended to be:
- administered to humans or used for any therapeutic procedure or purpose in any planned exposure of humans to ionising radiation
- used in any in vitro medical diagnosis or test
- used in research which is either directly or indirectly related towards medical diagnosis or therapy in humans.
Please note that sealed and unsealed radioactive sources that are used to calibrate instruments in medical practices and pathology laboratories are also included as medical radioisotopes for permit applications.
See Medical permits page for more information.
To apply for a medical import permit, complete the appropriate application form:
- Medical single shipment application form: PDF 254 kb | DOC 158 kb
- Medical 12 month permit application form: PDF 213 kb | DOC 106 kb
For further information contact the Medical Import Permits Officer on (03) 9433 2232.
Under Regulation 9AD of the Customs (Prohibited Exports) Regulations 1958, a permit from ARPANSA is required for the export of high activity radioactive sources and for high activity aggregations of sources in a single shipment. See the Export Permits page for more details.
To apply for an export permit complete the application form:
- Export of High Activity Radioactive sources application form (DOC 866 kb) (updated May 2014)
There is no fee payable for an export permit.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is needed to view PDF files
The free Adobe Acrobat Reader is available from Adobe's website