For more information please get in touch with ARPANSA
- Phone Number+61 3 9433 2211
- Fax Number+61 3 9433 2353
- email ARPANSA
National Directory for Radiation Protection (RPS 6)
National Directory for Radiation Protection (NDRP) February 2014
Edition 1 of the National Directory for Radiation Protection was developed by the Radiation Health Committee and published in August 2004. It was subsequently endorsed by the Australian Health Ministers' Conference (AHMC) as the uniform national framework for radiation protection in Australia.
Following publication of Edition 1, the Radiation Health Committee (RHC) agreed that further progression of the Directory would be by individual amendments, and that the consolidated version of the Directory would be maintained as an electronic document via ARPANSA's website. The current consolidated version is available for download below, as well as the individual amendments. Updated printed versions of the Directory will be published intermittently. The current Directory includes amendments up to and including amendment 6, agreed by the RHC November 2012 and endorsed by the Standing Committee on Health out of session in December 2013. Further amendments to the Directory will be published in due course.
Planned improvements to the NDRP
At its meeting of November 2014, the RHC approved redrafting of the NDRP to:
- remove it from the Radiation Protection Series
- import as principles the requirements of Governmental, Legal and Regulatory Framework for Safety, IAEA General Safety Requirements GSR Part 1
- make editorial changes
- accommodate the impending publication of the Planned Exposure Code and any consequential changes.
The redraft will also include a new Part 1 - Government, Legal & Regulatory Framework, and revision of Schedule 13.
Download the consolidated version of the National Directory (February 2014):
Please note: The National Directory is only available in electronic format. Please complete an ORDER FORM if you wish to purchase hardcopies of other publications in the Radiation Protection Series.
Download the individual amendments
- Amendment No. 1 (PDF 83kb): Codes of Practice and Radiation Protection Standards - Approved by RHC 15 February 2008, Endorsed by Ministers, December 2009
- Amendment No. 2 (PDF 131kb): Exclusions and Exemptions - Approved by RHC 16 July 2008, Endorsed by Ministers, December 2009
- Amendment No. 3 (PDF 61kb): Codes of Practice and Radiation Protection Standards - Approved by RHC 16 July 2008, Endorsed by Ministers, December 2009
- Amendment No. 4 (PDF 48kb): Solaria - Approved by RHC 18 March 2009, Endorsed by Ministers, April 2010
- Amendment No. 5 (PDF 284kb): Radiation Protection Principles, Adoption of Veterinary and Chiropractic Codes, and other matters - Approved by RHC 14-15 July 2010, Endorsed by Ministers, June 2011
- Amendment No. 6 (PDF 144kb) | (DOC 718 kb): Combined issues, including amendments to Schedules 5, 6, 9 and 13 and the Glossary - Approved by RHC 8 November 2012, Endorsed by the Standing Committee on Health out of session in December 2013
Following publication of NDRP Edition 1, the Radiation Health Committee agreed that progression of the NDRP would be by individual amendments, with regulatory impact assessment and consultation requirements being dealt with separately for each amendment. Amendments 1 to 6 have been incorporated into the most recent published edition of the NDRP (February 2014). A draft Amendment 7 was released for public comment in June 2014.
See ARCHIVE - National Directory for Radiation Protection for the history of the development of the NDRP.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is needed to view PDF files
The free Adobe Acrobat Reader is available from Adobe's website