- Personal Radiation Monitoring Service
- Equipment Calibration and Testing
- Radioanalytical Services
- ELF Magnetic Field Meter Hire
- Ultraviolet Radiation (UVR) Services
- UV Data
- UV Resource Guide
- Megavoltage Photon TLD Audit Service
- High Energy Radiation Beams (LINAC)
- Radiation Safety Advice and Risk Evaluation
- Australian Clinical Dosimetry Service
- National Diagnostic Reference Level Service
- Australian National Radiation Dose Register (ANRDR)
- Radiotherapy Calibrations
For more information please get in touch with ARPANSA
- Phone Number+61 3 9433 2211
- Fax Number+61 3 9432 1835
- email ARPANSA
Resource Guide for UV Protective Products
This Guide offers information about personal sun protection and products that claim to offer sun protection.
Prolonged exposure to ultraviolet radiation (UVR) from the sun can cause sunburn, skin cancer and eye disorders.
To promote awareness of UVR protection issues, ARPANSA developed the Ultraviolet Protection Factor (UPF) rating system for fabrics, which was used in 1996 to form the basis of the Australian and New Zealand Standard for sun protective clothing (AS/NZS 4399). Manufacturers and suppliers who participate in the UPF rating system, have samples of fabrics tested to determine the level of UVR protection, then their products may be labelled with an appropriate UPF rating tag. UPF ratings have been applied to various products including swimwear, rash vests, work shirts, school wear and hats.
Companies interested in having fabrics tested should go to the ultraviolet protection factor (UPF) testing pages.
Many companies label their products with a UPF rating label. AS/NZS 4399 specifies appropriate wording to appear on these labels. ARPANSA has supplied ready-made UPF rating swing tags to companies since 1992. ARPANSA’s own swing tags feature the UPF Certification Trade Mark.
This trademark has become widely recognised by consumers through the millions of UPF labelled products sold in recent years. The highly visible swing tag helps promote community awareness of the dangers of overexposure to ultraviolet radiation and gives consumers confidence that the product they purchase will reduce their UVR exposure.
Top of Page