ARPANSA sponsors international congress on radiation protection
ARPANSA is a proud bronze sponsor of the fifth Asian and Oceanic International Radiation Protection Association Regional Congress on Radiation Protection (AOCRP5), hosted in Melbourne this week.
AOCRP5 brings together many radiation protection professionals from across the Asia-Pacific region to discuss best practices in our field.
From Monday 21 - Wednesday 23 May, AOCRP5 gives the opportunity for professionals in our region to exchange information, knowledge and experiences on radiation safety matters in all areas of applications of ionising and non-ionising radiation.
The congress features several presentations from ARPANSA staff, including a keynote speech from our CEO Carl-Magnus Larsson. Dr Larsson’s presentation focuses on radioactive waste disposal with an Australian context, the regulatory environment, and ARPANSA’s role in the National Radioactive Waste Management Project.
Our staff will also present on other diverse topics including:
- medical exposures of patients: this could include through diagnostic means such as x-rays or computed tomography (CT) scans.
- national and international framework for protection against non-ionising radiation including electromagnetic radiation from mobile phone base stations and wi-fi
- emergency preparedness and response: strengthening global preparedness for radiological and nuclear emergencies
- neutron dosimetry: measuring doses of those who work with radiation
- occupational radiation exposure: minimising radiation risk for workers.
We are also holding two breakfast workshops. Our breakfast workshop on radon looks at recent changes to how risk is assessed from inhalation of radon and its decay products and enable discussion on emerging radon issues in Australia.
Our breakfast workshop on radiofrequency (RF) health science will give a brief overview of radiofrequency electromagnetic fields (EMF) health science and guidelines developed by the International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection on the safe use of RF EMF.
We will also have a booth at the conference highlighting the advice and services we provide. Our booth will be staffed by scientific experts who are able to answer questions. Many of our booth staff also answer enquiries from the public through our Talk to a Scientist program.
More information, including the congress program, can be found on the AOCRP5 website. Can’t make it to AOCRP5? Follow our Facebook and Twitter accounts for congress and presentation updates as they happen.