Warning messageThere is currently a suspension or adjustment to some of our activities due to COVID-19. For full details please visit our Activities in response to COVID-19 information page.
Radiation Health and Safety Advisory Council
The Radiation Health and Safety Advisory Council (the 'Council') advises the CEO on emerging issues and matters of major public concern relating to radiation protection and nuclear safety.
Council has the following functions in relation to radiation protection and nuclear safety:
- identify emerging issues
- examine matters of major concern to the community
- consider the adoption of recommendations, policies, codes and standards
- advise and report to the CEO, at the CEO's request or as Council considers appropriate, on the above and any other matters
Current membership of Council
The appointed members are:
- Dr Roger Allison, Executive Director Cancer Care Services, Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital
CEO of ARPANSA
- Dr Carl-Magnus Larsson
Person to represent the interests of the general public
- Dr Peter Karamoskos, consultant radiologist at Epworth Medical Imaging.
(Contact the Council public representative)
Radiation Control Officers
- Mr Keith Baldry, Director, Regulation and Compliance, Environment Protection Authority of South Australia
- Dr Stephen Newberry, Principal Health Physicist, Radiation Protection Unit, Department of Health and Human Services (Tasmania).
Representative of the Chief Minister of the Northern Territory
- Dr Hugh Heggie, Chief Health Officer, Clinical Support, Education and Public Health Services Division, NT Department of Health
- Dr Jane Canestra, Medical practitioner and emergency physician with expertise in the health aspects of radiological emergencies
- Prof Adele Green, Head, Cancer and Population Studies Group, Queensland Institute of Medical Research
- Ms Melissa Holzberger, Director and Principal – Sloan Holzberger Lawyers
- Prof Pamela Sykes, Professor Preventive Cancer Biology, Flinders University, South Australia
- Dr Melanie Taylor, Senior Research Fellow at the Centre for Health Research, University of Western Sydney
- Dr Trevor Wheatley, Chief Laser Safety Officer, University of New South Wales
- Mr Jim Hondros, Consultant, JRHC Enterprises, experience in mining and minerals processing, particularly with uranium and naturally occurring radioactive material