Non-medical import permits
On this page:
ARPANSA issues permits under Regulation 4R of the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956 for the import of radioactive substances for medical and non-medical use.
Persons intending to import radioactive substances into Australia for NON-MEDICAL use must present a valid Import Permit to the Department of Home Affairs.
Please read the information page prior to completing the non-medical import permit application form:
The Applicant must complete the appropriate application form:
Non-medical single shipment
Non-medical 12-month permit:
Application for permission to import non-medical radioactive substances - Twelve month permit
Information on Non-medical 12 Month Import Permits
The Applicant stated on the permit application must:
- be the consignee of the goods
- be the stated licensee
- be suitably licensed with the appropriate Regulatory Authority
- complete the application in full
- sign the form
The Applicant must submit the completed permit application to ARPANSA’s Sydney Office. Cheques should be made payable to Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency or ARPANSA. Please refer to Payment Methods and Enquiries for other methods of payment.
See Import and Export Permit Applications for the current fee schedule.
- Standard processing: Allow five working days for approval
- Urgent processing: Urgent applications take priority over standard processing
- 12 Month Import Permit: Only certain categories of radioactive substance may be eligible
Actual processing times may vary as they are dependent upon advice from the relevant jurisdictional radiation regulator.
Note: If an amendment is made to an approved Import Permit for a single shipment a new fee will be payable.
An approved Import Permit will be emailed to the Australian Customs Office in the state of the port of entry. An 'Information Only' copy will be sent to the nominated email address or faxed to the Applicant and/or Customs Agent.
- The onus is on the Applicant to ensure that Import Permits are processed by ARPANSA before the goods arrive at Customs.
- An ARPANSA approved Import Permit must be presented to Australian Customs for the release of the goods.
- An Import Permit is required for each shipment of radioactive substances and is valid for a period of six months.
Applications for Customs Prohibited Import Release for Non-Medical Radioactive Substances are processed at ARPANSA’s Sydney office. Enquiries regarding the processing of these permits should be directed to the Regulatory Services Branch.
Import Permits Officer
PO Box 655
Miranda NSW 1490
Phone: 61 2 9541 8340
Fax: 61 2 9541 8324