Decision of the CEO - ANSTO ANM facility
On 27 June 2014, the CEO of ARPANSA decided to issue a licence to the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation (ANSTO) to construct a controlled facility (the ANSTO ANM Facility) at the ANSTO Lucas Heights Science and Technology Centre.
Download a copy of the CEO’s decision:
In making his decision, the CEO took into consideration the documentation submitted by ANSTO in support of the application as well as::
- the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Act 1998 (the Act) and Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Regulations 1999
- Regulatory Assessment Report to Construct the ANM Facility:
PDF 682 kb | Docx 223 kb
- regulatory guidance developed for applicants and ARPANSA assessors
- international best practice in radiation protection and nuclear safety as it relates to the applications
- the decision of the Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Populations and Communities on the proposed facility under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999
- the Radiation Protection Series suite of documents, developed to support and promote national uniformity in radiation protection and nuclear safety across Australian jurisdictions, and
- consultations on the application held with the ARPANSA Nuclear Safety Committee.
The licence is subject to conditions as specified in section 35 of the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Act 1998.
The CEO of ARPANSA has imposed the standard licence condition requiring quarterly reporting under section 35 (1) (c). The CEO has also imposed a licence condition stating that the Licence Holder must seek the approval for construction of any hot cells/cell containment, hydrogen gas and detection system and any cranes along with items identified as safety category 1 and safety category 2 in the Preliminary Safety Analysis Report (PSAR).
The licence remains in force until it is cancelled or suspended under section 38 of the Act or until it is surrendered under section 39 of the Act.
Looking for more information?
If you’d like to know more about the application or the process for review see ANSTO ANM Mo99 licence application information.