Warning messageThere is currently a suspension or adjustment to some of our activities due to COVID-19. For full details please visit our Activities in response to COVID-19 information page.
2016–17 Annual Report - Part 6 - Appendix 1: ARPANSA licensing activities
ARPANSA licensing activities
Details of any breach of licence conditions by a licensee during the financial year of which the CEO is aware
Breaches with significant safety implications during the year
The CEO was made aware of two breaches with significant safety implications during the year:
- Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation (ANSTO) was found in breach of subsection 30(2) of the ARPANS Act. The breach related to the Open Pool Australian Lightwater reactor for failing to comply with a licence condition required by Regulation 50(1). This licence condition requires the licence holder to review and update its plans and arrangements at least once every three years.
- The National Gallery of Australia was found in breach of paragraph 31(1)(a) of the ARPANS Act for the unauthorised possession of a hand held X-ray fluorescence analyser.
Breaches with no or minor safety implications during the year
The CEO was made aware of eight breaches with no or minor safety implications:
- A licence holder exceeded its activity holding limit. This occurred on two separate occasions by the same licence holder, resulting in two non-compliances.
- Two licence holders did not maintain an accurate inventory.
- A licence holder did not test their radiation monitors as required by their operational limits and conditions.
- A licence holder did not have warning lights and interlocks on low hazard X-ray analysis equipment in accordance with the relevant code of practice.
- A licence holder did not have its security plan endorsed by an accredited assessor.
- A licence holder did not conduct a structural survey which was required by their plans and arrangements.
In all cases appropriate corrective actions were undertaken by the licence holder.
Details of any improvement notices or directions issued during the year
One improvement notice regarding inventory management and storage of radioactive material was issued by an ARPANSA inspector to the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation under section 80A of the ARPANS Act.
There were no directions issued under section 41 of the ARPANS Act.
Facility licences as at 30 June 2016
|Commonwealth entity||Licences held|
|Australian National University||3|
|Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation||22|
|Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency||1|
|Department of Defence/Australian Defence Forces||4|
|Department of Immigration and Border Protection||4|
|Department of the Environment and Energy||1|
Source licences as at 30 June 2016
|Commonwealth entity||Licences held|
|ASC Pty Ltd and ASC AWD Shipbuilder Pty Ltd||1|
|Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre||1|
|Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission||1|
|Australian Federal Police||1|
|Australian Institute of Marine Science||1|
|Australian National University||2|
|Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation||3|
|Australian Postal Corporation||1|
|Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency||2|
|Australian Securities and Investments Commission||1|
|Australian Sports Commission||1|
|Australian War Memorial||1|
|Commonwealth Bureau of Meteorology||1|
|Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation||9|
|Decipha Pty Ltd||1|
|Department of Agriculture and Water Resources||1|
|Department of Defence/Australian Defence Forces||1|
|Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade||1|
|Department of Immigration and Border Protection||3|
|Department of Industry, Innovation and Science||4|
|Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development||1|
|Department of Parliamentary Services||1|
|Department of the Environment and Energy||3|
|Federal Court of Australia||1|
|High Court of Australia||1|
|Indian Ocean Territory Health Service||1|
|Law Courts Limited||1|
|National Archives of Australia||1|
|National Gallery of Australia||1|
|National Museum of Australia||1|
|Note Printing Australia||1|
|Reserve Bank of Australia||1|
|Royal Australian Mint||1|
|Silex Systems Ltd||1|