Warning messageThere is currently a suspension or adjustment to some of our activities due to COVID-19. For full details please visit our Activities in response to COVID-19 information page.
2011-12 Annual Report - Appendix 1: Work Health and Safety
Appendix 1 - Work Health and Safety
Work Health and Safety Committee
ARPANSA staff and management consult through the operation of the Work Health and Safety Committee (WHSC). The Committee is chaired by the Head of the Office of the CEO and made up of Health and Safety Representatives, deputy Health and Safety Representatives and management representatives of all Branches and Offices and meets every two months.
Work Health and Safety measures taken in 2011-12 include the following:
- Continuing work on a signage audit.
- Flushing of radioactive holding tanks which will be replaced by Radiopharmacy area tanks.
- Sealing of holding tanks.
- New fire evacuation practices and new emergency responses introduced and alarm system changed.
- Influenza immunisations for staff across all three campuses.
- New arrangements introduced to accommodate the changes to the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 (WH&S Act).
- Training of Health and Safety Representatives in requirements under the new WH&S Act.
- Completion of Yallambie renovations and property services to better comply with the new WH&S Act.
- Implementation of compulsory OH&S training for all ARPANSA staff.
2011 work health & safety inspection schedule
Representatives of the WHSC conducted WHS inspections of all work areas within ARPANSA during the year. The inspections resulted in a number of corrective action requests being issued which were attended to by the relevant branch management.
Health and safety management arrangements
Health and Safety Management Arrangements have been in place in ARPANSA since late 2007. Available to all staff through the ARPANSA Intranet, the Arrangements deal with:
- roles and responsibilities
- workplace level consultation
- confidentiality of information
- organisational arrangements including dispute resolution
ARPANSA operates two Designated Work Groups at the Yallambie campus and one at the Miranda campus each with a Health and Safety Representative and a Deputy.
Following the implementation of the WH&S Act in consultation with staff through Health and Safety and Deputy Health and Safety Representatives, it is intended to comprehensively review the Arrangements during 2012-13
The ARPANSA Employee Assistance Program operated throughout the year provided on behalf of the Agency by Converge International as part of a contract with the Department of Health and Ageing.
Incidents or injuries
ARPANSA once again achieved a highly safe and healthy working environment with no lost time incidents or incidents requiring medical attention reported during the year. ARPANSA continues to maintain a strong safety culture evidenced by the number of Hazard/Near Miss Reports lodged.
Investigations or notices given
Consistent with the four previous financial years, no investigations were conducted or notices given during 2011-12 relevant to sections 29, 45 and 46 of the OHS (CE) Act prior to 1 January 2012 or sections 85, 90, 191, 195 and 198 of the WH&S Act from that date.