CEO decision - ANSTO Nuclear Medicine Molybdenum-99 facility
On 4 October 2013, the CEO of ARPANSA decided issue a licence to the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation (ANSTO) to prepare a site for a controlled facility (the ANSTO Nuclear Medicine Molybdenum-99 Facility) at the ANSTO Lucas Heights Science and Technology Centre.
Download a copy of the CEO’s Statement of Reasons:
In making his decision the CEO of ARPANSA took into consideration the documentation submitted by ANSTO in support of the application as well as:
- the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Act 1998 (the Act) and Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Regulations 1999
- the Regulatory Assessment Report, and regulatory guidance material developed for applicants and for ARPANSA assessors, as referred to in the Regulatory Assessment Report:
- international guidance relevant to international best practice
- correspondence in relation to the decision of the Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Populations and Communities on the proposed facility not being a controlled action under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999
- the Radiation Protection Series suite of documents, developed to support and promote national uniformity in radiation protection and nuclear safety across Australian jurisdictions
- discussions on the subject held with the ARPANSA Nuclear Safety Committee, and
- submissions received during the public consultation period including issues raised during the community information session ARPANSA organised at the Engadine Community Centre, Sutherland, on 16 May 2013.
The licence is subject to the standard condition relating to compliance reporting, training and work practices but I have not imposed any special licence conditions relating specifically to the proposed facility.
The licence remains in force until it is cancelled or suspended under section 38 of the Act or until it is surrendered under section 39 of the Act.
The associated application to site and construct the ANSTO Sy-Mo prescribed radiation facility is currently under regulatory review.
Looking for more information?
If you'd like to know more about the applications or the process for review see the ANSTO Mo99 and SyMo application information and ANM Mo99 and ANSTO Sy-Mo Facility Licence Applications pages.
If you'd like to know more about the public consultation process that’s been undertaken or view the submissions and transcript from the public information session, see the Regulatory Services Public Consultation page.
For media queries please contact: email@example.com