HIFAR research reactor
ANSTO's facility licence application to possess or control HIFAR
On 18 May 2007, Dr John Loy, CEO of the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA) received an application from the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation (ANSTO) for a facility licence under the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Act 1998 authorising it to possess or control the High Flux Australian Reactor (HIFAR).
HIFAR was a 10 MW research reactor that commenced operation in 1958. The reactor was permanently shut down on 30 January 2007 with the spent fuel and heavy water since being removed and stored on site. The final shutdown of the reactor was authorised under the then existing licence authorising operation.
ANSTO’s facility licence application to possess or control HIFAR was the first step in the regulatory process leading to the eventual decommissioning of the reactor. As part of the application, ANSTO proposed to measure and map the level of radioactivity in structures, systems and components of the reactor. In the longer term, it is anticipated that the organisation will apply for a licence to decommission the reactor.
On 15 September 2008 the CEO of ARPANSA issued a facility licence to ANSTO authorising it to possess or control the HIFAR facility.
Licence application documents
HIFAR possess or control licence application - documents provided by ANSTO
Part A - General information
Part B - Plans
Part C - Safety analysis
Part D - Limits and conditions
Part E - activities
Documents provided by ARPANSA to ANSTO