From time to time, the Radiation Health and Safety Advisory Council (the 'Council') issues statements that provide details of its advice to the CEO of ARPANSA. Advice relates to radiation protection and nuclear safety issues.
Here are recent Council statements. Statements issued 2010 and earlier have been archived.
CEO response to Council advice and recommendations since 2019
Council advice to the CEO on regulatory principles for nuclear powered submarines
Council advice to the CEO on investigating the public health impact of cosmetic non-ionising radiation (NIR) devices
Council advice to the CEO on radiation exposure from increased medical imaging in Australia
Council advice to the CEO in relation to personal or other occupational (non-clinical) uses of laser technology
Council letter of advice on the role of ARPANSA in Australian Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material (NORM) - November 2020
Council letter of advice on the role of ARPANSA in national approach to skin cancer prevention - December 2019
Council letter of advice on the role of ARPANSA in nuclear and radiological emergencies – informing the Australian public
Council letter of endorsement to pursue increase of funding for National Electromagnetic Energy Program - March 2018
Council letter of endorsement to pursue the RHC vision for national uniformity of Australia's radiation regulatory system - January 2018
Council advice to the CEO on establishing a Reference Level for emergency exposure situations - May 2017
Council Position Statement on the use of the linear no-threshold model in ionising radiation protection - May 2017
Council advice on ARPANSA's roles as a regulator and radiation health and safety advisor for a National Radioactive Waste Management Facility (NRWMF) – February 2017:
Council advice to the CEO on transport of radioactive materials in Australia - December 2013
The CEO of ARPANSA invited Council to make a statement about the transport of radioactive materials in Australia, noting that the data indicates that transport of radioactive materials is no more dangerous than the transport of any other hazardous materials, yet it continues to be an issue of public concern. Council agreed to prepare advice to the CEO and established a small working group who prepared a Background Paper – Transport of Radioactive Material in Australia – Discussion of the Risks and a Statement on the Management of Risks in the Transport of Radioactive Material in Australia.
Following extensive review by Council members the documents were endorsed and forwarded with a covering letter to the CEO in December 2013.
Council advice to the CEO on medical radiation issues - July 2011
During its April 2011 meeting, Council held a forum that included participants and presentations from the Royal Australian & New Zealand College of Radiologists (RANZCR), Australian College of Physical Scientists and Engineers in Medicine (ACPSEM), Department of Health & Ageing (DoHA), ARPANSA Medical Radiation Branch and other members of an expert panel. Council agreed to prepare advice to the CEO of ARPANSA based on these discussions and forwarded its report in July 2011.
Archived statements issued 2010 or earlier
Archived statements are available from the National Library of Australia Australian Government web archive
- Council advice to the CEO regarding a review of issues related to the management of intermediate level radioactive waste in Australia – April 2010
- Council advice to the CEO on a review of the National Directory for Radiation Protection – Edition 1 – September 2008
- Council advice to the CEO on issues relating to the safety and development of nuclear power plants – March 2008
- Council advice to the CEO on medical radiation issues – May 2006
- Council advice on naturally-occurring radioactive material (NORM) in Australia – September 2005
- Council advice on an indicator of sustainable development for radioactive waste – April 2004
- Council endorses ARPANSA CEO's process for consultation with the public – September 2003
- Council advice to CEO on radioactive waste – December 2002
- Council advice on precautionary approaches in radiation protection – December 2002
- Council advice on the use of radiation in preventative medicine – August 2002
Visit the National Library of Australia Australian Government Web Archive to access information no longer available on our website.