ARPANSA licence holder forums
On this page:
ARPANSA conducts regular forums with stakeholders as a means of sharing useful information about changes to regulatory practices, the inspection program, compliance issues, as well as highlighting good practices.
This year our licence holder forum was held in Canberra on 28 June 2017. The Australian National University hosted the forum at the School of Music. Facilitated by Ms Tone Doyle (ARPANSA), the forum provided an opportunity for licence holders to meet with each other and ARPANSA staff. We shared useful information about changes to regulatory practice, the inspection program, compliance issues, as well as highlighting good practices.
Our feature topic for the forum was ARPANSA’s new Code for Radiation Protection in Planned Exposure Situations (2016). Mr Keith Dessent (ARPANSA) presented an overview of the code, followed by a panel discussion with representatives from our licence holders. The panel comprised:
- Mr Robin Foy, ANSTO
- Dr Gillian Hirth, ARPANSA
- Mr George Bailey, Australian War Memorial
- Mr Neil Webster, CSIRO
- Mr Tony Mills-Thom, Department of Defence
The panel discussion provided a chance to learn from other licence holders by sharing their experiences and how the changes have affected their agencies.
There was a presentation from Professor Tim Senden of ANU who spoke about the uses of radiation by the ANU Research School of Physics and Engineering.
Mr John Ward (ARPANSA) presented a session on the Inspection Program overview, which included common findings and feedback.
During the afternoon tea break there were a series of interactive coffee corners which covered the following topics:
- Australian National Radiation Dose Register (ANRDR) – Mr Cameron Lawrence and Mr Ben Paritsky, ARPANSA
- Australian Radiation Incident Register (ARIR) – Mr Chris Nickel, APRANSA
- ARPANSA Regulatory Services Branch overview – Mr Alex Kalaiziovski and Mr Vaz Mottl, ARPANSA
- National Radioactive Waste Facility (NRWMF) – Ms Julie Murray and Dr Samir Sarkar, ARPANSA
- Cost Recovery Project Update – Ms Valerie Villiere, ARPANSA
- Tour of ANU’s Heavy Ion Accelerator Facility – Dr Steve Tims, ANU
- Regulatory Performance Framework – ARPANSA Self-Assessment – Mr John Ward, ARPANSA
- Australian Safeguards and Non-Proliferation Office (ASNO) – Ms Lyndell Evans and Ms Rebecca Stohr, ASNO
Based on initial feedback the forum was a huge success and helped to build stakeholder relationships, cooperation and learning across the Commonwealth agencies that are regulated by ARPANSA.
In 2016, we held two licence holder forums - one in Canberra hosted by CSIRO on 16 March and the other in Sydney on 17 March. These forums provided an opportunity for licence holders to meet with ARPANSA staff and other licence holders to share experiences and discuss issues of regulatory interest or concern.
Both forums were facilitated by Ms Susan Fleming from Acting Consulting and Training (ACT) Australia, who used theatre-based workshops to highlight real scenarios involving radiation safety and regulatory issues.
There were two keynote speakers at each forum – Mr Adi Paterson, CEO of ANSTO who spoke about effective regulation and an overview of the work ANSTO is currently undertaking; and Dr John Loy, former CEO of ARPANSA who spoke about his regulatory experiences in the UAE.
There were a series of Coffee Corners during the morning and afternoon tea breaks which covered the following topics:
- Changes to the ARPANS Act and Regulations – Selva Kumar, ARPANSA
- Trusted International Standards – Peter Colgan, APRANSA
- ARPANSA’s guidance to licence holders – John Ward, ARPANSA
- Security – Loch Castle, ARPANSA
- ANSTO’s Training Program – Lauren Bladock and Linda Fox, ANSTO
- CSIRO’s experience with ANRDR – Kaylene Pickering, CSIRO
- Defence radiation safety assurance activities – Tony Mills-Thom - Defence
There was also a session from the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science on the National Radioactive Waste Management Project.
Based on initial feedback the forums were a huge success and helped to build stakeholder relationships and cooperation and learning across the Commonwealth agencies that we regulate.
This year ARPANSA held two licence holder forums - one in Sydney on 16 June and one in Melbourne on 18 June. These forums provided an opportunity for licence holders to meet with ARPANSA staff and other licence holders to share experiences and discuss issues of regulatory interest or concern. Licence holders also had a chance to meet the head of Regulatory Services Branch and Chief Inspector, Mr Jack Dillich.
There were two keynote speakers at each forum – Dr Stephen Koukoulas, one of the most experienced and highly regarded economists in Australia, who spoke on the Economics of Effective and Efficient Regulation, and Mr Donald Hoffman the President/Chief Executive Officer of Excel Services Corporation, who gave a presentation on recent international developments in nuclear regulation.
Among the topics presented by ARPANSA were Cost Recovery, ARPANSA’s Delivery Model, proposed changes to the Regulations, Radiation Incidents and the Australian National Radiation Dose Register. In addition, there were presentations by guest speakers from ANSTO, the Australian Synchrotron and CSIRO.
- ANSTO Nuclear Saftey Management – Hefin Griffiths, ANSTO
- Australian National Radiation Dose Register – Ben Partisky, ARPANSA
- Australian Radiation Incident Register – John Ward, ARPANSA
- Australian Synchrotron – Dean Morris, Australian Synchrotron
- Changes to regulations – Selva Kumar, ARPANSA
- Cost recovery – Jack Dillich, ARPANSA
- Delivery Model – Jack Dillich, ARPANSA
- Lasers: Aren't always what they seem – Neil Webster, CSIRO
- New application fees and other important changes from 1 July 2015 – ARPANSA
- Nuclear regulations - recent international developments – Don Hoffman, Excel Services
The 2013 licence holder forum was hosted by the Australian War Memorial in Canberra on 30 October 2013. There were 44 attendees, representing 13 licence holders.
The CEO of ARPANSA, Dr Carl-Magnus Larsson gave the opening address. There were presentations by ARPANSA on annual licence charges and cost recovery, introduction of the Licence Administration Database, an update on codes and standards, and radiation incident reporting which included workshop activities. A guest speaker from ANSTO gave a presentation on safety culture.
- ARPANSA Licence Charges and Cost Recovery - 2013 - Martin Dwyer, ARPANSA
- Licence Administration Database - Diane Harrison, ARPANSA
- Codes and Standards update - 2013 - Alex Kalaiziovski, ARPANSA
- Incident reporting - John Ward, ARPANSA
Note: The documents on this webpage are provided in PDF only. If you have difficulty accessing PDFs, please contact us to arrange an alternate version.
Are you searching for information from Licence Holder Forums held earlier than 2013?
Visit the National Library of Australia's Australian Government Web Archive to access information previously published on our website.